At times children may prefer to drink rather than eat. Drinks are a wonderful way to improve a picky eaters (and your own) nutrition. All sorts of things can be disguised in a drink so don’t despair!
Of course water is always the best drink throughout the day for children however you can also put a meal in a drink.
Combinations of nutrient dense ingredients in a liquid form can make wonderful snacks or partial meal replacements for fussy eaters. Smoothies can be made from various types of milks, juices, fruits and vegetables. They can be the basis of a really healthy meal. Nut and seed meal, protein powders, yoghurt, honey, fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables can be added and the lot blended together. The addition of a colourful straw or drinking cup will add to the fun and compliance.
Even breakfast in a glass can be a deliciously healthy way to start the day or a meal in a hurry.
Any left overs can be frozen into wonderful ice block or “ice cream” snacks for hot summer days and after school.
For example ingredients could include:-
Various fresh fruits in season (or frozen fruits), + or – some leafy greens or pureed carrot or pumpkin along with
A powdered protein supplement (rice or pea)
Rice, coconut, almond, or A2 milk
Nut and seed meal
Try some of these combinations or make up some of your own:-
- Organic apple juice, a banana, small handful of seeded cherries, a nectarine, a tablespoon of organic cold pressed flaxseed oil or Omega 3 fish oil, one or two tablespoons of rice or pea protein powder. Blend all ingredients together.
- 200ml rice or almond milk, 1 tablespoon protein powder (rice or pea), fresh or frozen raspberries or mixed berries. Blend all ingredients together.
- 100ml cranberry juice, 100ml rice, almond, or A2 milk, fresh or frozen mango, fresh peach or nectarine. Blend all ingredients together. This combination also makes a yummy ice block.
- 100ml organic apple juice, a banana, rockmelon, seedless red grapes, 1tablespoon organic cold pressed flaxseed oil or Omega 3 fish oil, 2 tablespoons natural yoghurt. Blend together.
- Fresh or frozen blackcurrants or blackcurrant juice, strawberries, kiwi fruit (skinned), ¼ to ½ teaspoon vitamin C powder.
Enjoy with your kids!